[I18n-sig] Strawman Proposal (2): Encoding attributes

Fri, 9 Feb 2001 21:27:14 +0100

> So what this strawman suggest is in summary:
>
> 1. add an encoding identifier to the top of a source code file
> 2. use that encoding information to decode u"..." literals into
>    Unicode
> 3. leave all other literals and text alone

I think the proposal was to do

3. raise an error if another literal uses bytes > 127

instead. Since users need to actively change their source to use the
encoding declaration, they'll combine this with putting u in front of
every affected string. If they then still have strings with bytes
>127, they need to use the \x notation, as the string should not
contain text.

Regards,
Martin