[I18n-sig] Strawman Proposal (2): Encoding attributes

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 07:24:02 -0800

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> I would not feel comfortable, because I doubt it is technically
> possible. It may work for identifiers of variables (including
> functions and classes), however, it will surely fail for the names of
> packages and modules.

It isn't worth arguing about because I'm not even proposing to move to
Unicode variable names today. But can we agree not to cut ourselves off
from that option?

> As I said before, I tried to write such a program in Java, which is
> intended to support this. It failed, because the interpreter could not
> find the class file (which must have the name of the class in Java,
> unfortunately).

As you point out, the problem is much more serious in Java because of
the classname/filename binding. Anyhow, file systems are getting more
and more i18n aware.

 Paul Prescod