[I18n-sig] Python and Unicode == Britain and the Euro?

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 01:34:31 -0800

Tim Peters wrote:

> The Python Reference Manual says (chapter 2, "Lexical analysis"):
>
>     Python uses the 7-bit ASCII character set for program text and
>     string literals.
>
> That was Guido's intent,

That may be the rule but try enforcing it. It is so widely violated as
to be irrelevant. I would love it if you did try to enforce it in Python
2.1. You would take the heat for breaking everyone's non-ASCII programs
and then I could come in and propose the draconian rule be eased with
the encoding declaration.

The wide violation of this rule should inform our discussions about
where Python source code is going in the future...

 Paul Prescod