[I18n-sig] Modified open() builtin (Re: Python Character Model)

Tom Emerson tree@basistech.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:38:46 -0500

barry@digicool.com writes:
[...]
> Other messages in this thread seem to agree that /if/ open() were to
> grow an encoding argument, it should be optional.

What if it were possible to specify the "default" encoding at
configure time, while keeping the argument to open() optional. Ruby does this, as does MySQL, so there *is* precedent.

    -tree

Stringologist                                      http://www.basistech.com