[I18n-sig] RE: [Python-Dev] Pre-PEP: Python Character Model

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 23:05:24 -0500

[Tim]
>> a-2-byte-encoding-space-was-too-small-the-day-unicode-was-conceived-
>>     and-20-bits-won't-last-either-ly y'rs  - tim

[MAL]
> Has anyone ever considered the problems this causes for type
> designers ?

LOL!  I'm picturing Guido going back a few thousand years in his time
machine, to civilization after civilization on the verge of literacy, asking
"Haven't you foolish people ever considered the problems this silly
picture-writing will cause for type designers someday?  Now grow up and use
7-bit ASCII." <wink>.

The same inconsiderate bastards made computer speech recognition a lot
harder than it could have been, too.  Not to mention computerized
inter-language translation, and whether or not it's polite or a mortal
offense to point with your foot.

> Who is going to do the job of designing 2^20 character glyphs
> to all match the same font design guidelines ?

No problem -- at Earth's current population, we can assign about 5,000
people to work on each glyph <wink>.

size-is-a-relative-thing-ly y'rs  - tim