[I18n-sig] Japanese commentary on the Pre-PEP (2 of 4)

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:26:36 -0500

> Again, I doubt that theoretical discussion of the issue does not bring
> it much further. What is needed is an actual patch to Python so people
> can see what exactly you are proposing, and in what way it would
> affect their code.

Yes!

> I'm still pretty sure that any patch that changes
> string literals to be interpreted as wide strings, using the Unicode
> charset, would break loads of existing applications.

Note that this can already be approximated with the -U option.  It
might be a good idea to present the patch as an extension of what -U
does (I believe -U currently *only* changes all string literals to
Unicode -- but that's already very pervasive...).