[I18n-sig] Codec licenses

Martin v. Loewis martin@mira.cs.tu-berlin.de
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 21:43:31 +0100

> I haven't received any comment on the above so far.
>
> Should I take this as rejection of the proposal ?

I wasn't going to go into a long discussion about that matter, but I
feel quite comfortable with the iconv codec being GPL'ed. Your main
rationale for requesting such a change was

> This makes the codecs unusable for software which isn't GPL
> compatible and limits its usefulness considerably.

I firmly believe that free software should be useful on its own
technical merits, and that the LGPL is called the "lesser" GPL for a
reason; the FSF actively encourages authors *not* to license software
under its terms.

I could be talked into changing the license if some project that I
support would want to use it, and couldn't because of the GPL (e.g. if
it was candidate for inclusion into Python). I won't change in
advance.

Regards,
Martin