[I18n-sig] JapaneseCodecs and the license

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:14:31 +0200

Tamito KAJIYAMA wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I decided to change the license of my JapaneseCodecs package
> from GNU GPL to a BSD variant.  Due to the license change, I
> released JapaneseCodecs 1.3.  It is available at:
>
> http://pseudo.grad.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp/~kajiyama/python/
>
> There is no change in the codes, so you don't need to update
> your copy if the license doesn't matter.

Great... this is very good news ! I just wish some of the
other codec authors would follow your example. Anyway,
your move will certainly improve the usability of Python in Asia.

> By the way, I also released a new module named kanjilib.  As the
> name implies, the kanjilib module provides Japanese encoding
> conversion functions for EUC-JP, Shift_JIS and ISO-2022-JP.  The
> module does not rely on Python's Unicode facilities, so it may
> be convenient if you need to handle Japanese character encodings
> but not Unicode, or if you need Japanese encoding conversion in
> Python 1.5.2 or former.  The module is also available on the
> page above.

Thank you,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg