[I18n-sig] Re: How does Python Unicode treat surrogates?

Mark Davis mark@macchiato.com
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 12:27:07 -0700

That is an interesting approach; one that basically amounts to some
convenience functions. For example, instead of writing:

myString.substring(myString.cpToIndex(3), myString.cpToIndex(5));

you could write:

myString.substring(3, 5, myString.CODEPOINT);

This hides some of the work, when someone is working in code points. The
performance cost is still there, of course; using code point indexes
requires each operation to examine every code unit up to that point, which
is much more expensive.

For a general programming language or string library, I'm not sure about
implementing this pattern throughout. I know in the ICU library, for
example, we have a significant number of functions that take offsets into
strings. Having such a parameter on all of them would be clumsy, when most
of the time people are simply working in code units.

Mark