[I18n-sig] Intro + Encoding names issue

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 18:38:13 +0100

> You also touch a wound spot here: there's currently no way to
> override codecs which are available in the encodings package since
> the encodings search function is always installed before all other
> search functions. Perhaps we ought to let applications register
> their search function before the encodings one too ?!

I'm not sure whether this is necessary. That would assume that the
application's encodings are "better" in some sense. While I'm pretty
certain that the iconv codecs are faster than any pure Python codec, I
wouldn't claim that it was better in all respects. Any application
that wants a specific codec should use the API of this codec.

> It's probably better to include the alias support in the application
> and then make the installation of the right codec packages a
> requirement during installation of the application.

Actually, there is no need for either the core nor the application to
add any aliases. The .pth approach works fine, AFAICT, and is
completely transparent.

Regards,
Martin