[I18n-sig] JapaneseCodecs 1.4.7 released

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 02:02:05 -0400

    TK> I've released JapaneseCodecs 1.4.7.  As usual, the source
    TK> tarball is available at the following location:

    TK> Encoders and decoders now raise a ValueError instead of
    TK> UnicodeError if their optional argument "errors" has an
    TK> invalid value.  Thanks Walter for reminding me!

I just realized we still have a problem with this distutils package.
It still insists on installing japanese.pth in
/usr/local/lib/python-2.2/site-packages even if I include
--install-lib and --install-purelib switches to the "python setup.py
install" command.

This is bad because in Mailman, I don't want to pollute the Python
distribution with the packages I bundle, so I install them in
(Mailman's) $prefix/pythonlib directory.  But because JapaneseCodecs's
setup.py leaves *only* the japanese.pth file in site-packages,
people's Python installations are now broken.

I do the same thing with the email and KoreanCodecs packages, and they
work fine.  Is there some way we can stop the japanese.pth file from
getting installed in the site-packages directory?  (I vaguely remember
this issue came up once before and I thought the problem had been
solved, but it clearly is a problem w/ 1.4.7).

Cheers,
-Barry