[I18n-sig] Re: Spam report (mail.python.org): 23 new messages

François Pinard pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
12 Nov 2002 10:24:27 -0500

[Martijn Pieters]

> There are three requests to confirm a Yahoo Groups membership to the
> locales@yahoogroups.com mailinglist in our spam queue, all a few minutes
> apart.

Please do not accept subscribing mailing lists to one another.  The only
allowable exceptions are for maintenance purposes, when a mailing list is
being renamed or moved to a new system, but then, it conceptually remains
the same mailing list.

As a user, I want to feel free to subscribe or unsubscribe to the mailing
list(s) of my choice, and unsubscribe of the mailing list(s) of my choice.

> Although the goal of the locales mailinglist seems to fit with the
> i18n-sig group, I am wondering wether or not it was really the goal to
> subscribe the whole sig to that list.

When I subscribe to a mailing list, I consider rather unwelcome that
people or robots use the mailing list roster as input for other lists.
If the lists are related and of probable interest, a polite invitation
might be sent to all for subscribing to the other or new mailing list,
but please let it be the choice of members on an individual basis.