[I18n-sig] Changes to gettext.py for Python 2.3

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
12 Apr 2003 12:34:05 +0200

Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org> writes:

> I suppose we could cache the conversion to make the next lookup more
> efficient.  Alternatively, if we always convert internally to Unicode we
> could encode on .gettext().  Then we could just pick One Way and do away
> with the coerce flag.

If you are concerned about efficiency, I guess there is no way to
avoid converting the file to Unicode on loading. I would then
encourage a change where this flag is available, but has an effect
only on performance, not on the behaviour.

Alternatively, you could subclass GNUTranslation.

Regards,
Martin