[I18n-sig] pygettext and msgfmt support for distutils

Bernhard Herzog bh@intevation.de
16 Apr 2003 18:27:26 +0200

Is someone working on integrating the gettext utilities with distutils?

Some background:

We've just added some simple gettext support to our geogaphic data
viewer Thuban[1] but the setup we currently use only works on Unix-like
systems because it's just a makefile that can be used to call xgettext
(0.11 which supports python :)) and msgmerge and msgfmt as needed.

I've already adapted our setup.py file to include any formatted .mo
files and any po files in the source distribution and to install the mo
files together with other data files which works well so far.

What I'd still like to have is a way to at least get the functionality
of xgettext (or pygettext) and msgfmt into the distutils setup.py in
such a way that it works on windows as well as on Unix.

Is someone working on this kind of thing?

If no, what would be needed to get it into the standard distutils?
AFAICT, for a start it might be good to move pygettext.py and msgfmt.py
into the standard library so that distutils can easily call them to do
the actual work.

   Bernhard

[1] http://thuban.intevation.org/

--