[I18n-sig] codecs module, readlines and xreadlines

Poor Yorick gp@pooryorick.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:32:34 -0700

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>Poor Yorick <gp@pooryorick.com> writes:
>
>>The thing is that I AM processing text data.  It just happens to be
>>unicode text data.  The example I used turns into perfectly legible
>>chinese characters once it's decoded in Python.  I think that people
>>using the codecs module on Windows to read Unicode text files would
>>expect codecs.open.readlines to behave exactly like the builtin
>>open.readlines.
>>

>Would you like to work on a patch to fix this problem?

Alas, I only wish I had the skills that would require!  Perhaps someday.
 I just wanted to point the issue out.

I could, however, probably help by creating a tutorial about the subject
for others like me, which I will try to do.

Thank you,

Poor Yorick,
gp@pooryorick.com