[I18n-sig] Re: [Python-Dev] CJKCodecs integration into Python

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Jan 9 18:06:32 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 16:25, Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> I like the changes, and have accepted the patch. Please wait a few days
> before committing them so strong objections can be voiced.

I have only one reservation.  I tried to replace JapaneseCodecs and
KoreanCodecs with cjkcodecs in Mailman 2.1.4, but met with resistance.
Part of the problem was that we'd have to update the email package to
handle these changes and there wasn't time given the freeze on the
Python 2.3 tree (still in effect if I'm not mistaken).

But also it seems like there isn't universal preference for cjkcodecs
over JapaneseCodecs:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-i18n/2003-December/001084.html

I don't even pretend to know what the issues Japanese users have, but it
bothers me that there still seems to be some controversy.  Can we, and
should we resolve that before committing cjkcodecs to Python 2.4 cvs?

-Barry