[I18n-sig] Re: [Python-Dev] CJKCodecs integration into Python

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Jan 12 10:28:48 EST 2004

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 18:39, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
>
>>Barry Warsaw wrote:
>>
>>>But also it seems like there isn't universal preference for cjkcodecs
>>>over JapaneseCodecs:
>>>
>>>http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-i18n/2003-December/001084.html
>>
>>There won't be universal preference for any package that we provide,
>>or, for any kind of change made to Python. Unfortunately, the message
>>you quote is hearsay, so we don't know what the specific objections
>>are.
>
> I don't expect there to be universal acceptance, but there should be
> enough momentum to make cjkcodecs the one way to do it for the large
> majority of users.
>
> But we still haven't heard any concrete objections, so you should go for
> it.

+1

Users who want to use other codec packages can easily do so,
installing them in packages and then redirecting Python to use
these by patching encoding.aliases.aliases to point to the
codecs in the package rather than Python's default one.

This is best done in sitecustomize.py.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 06 2004)