[I18n-sig] Support for Devanagari Script

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Sat Sep 9 01:12:10 CEST 2006

Vijaya Poudyal wrote:
> Hi Andy,
> I tried my example at the command prompt in XP and Xbash (cygwin).
> Python cannot decode the unicode in both cases.  In IDLE I get the wrong
> rendering.  I was not able to the "renders ... exactly the same ..."
> behavior you mentioned.
>
> When you say kSa.encode('utf8') do you get "Hello" followed by two
> characters joined along the top or just one character (as in the html)?
> When I run it I get two characters and this is a wrong rendering of the
> code point sequence.

I get exactly the same thing in both, attached. I called this 'one
character' in my ignorance, but I guess the characters get combined.
Strangely, if I move the cursor through it with right-arrow key, it
"explodes" into 3 characters while it has the focus - these are the same
ones in the unicode standards sheets for those bytes.  But normally it
appears as above.

Best Regards,

Andy