[I18n-sig] Translation docstrings with gettext

Aleksey Rezvov aleksey.rezvov at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 13:03:23 CEST 2010

I already post this in comp.lang.python, but after found this place, I think
it is more appropriate. Sorry for duplication.

I found several discussions where this question was asked, but was not

Now I am creating Python-API for my application, and want create it
with translation support, including documentation strings for modules,
classes, methods etc.

It is simple to translate special-marked strings with gettext, but it
is problem with docstrings: if I mark them for translation like
_("""Some documentation string""") then it is not recognized as
docstring. If I omit _() markup, then string is not translated.

Script pygettext.py has key --docstrings that forces extraction
docstrings from module, so I suppose, that it must be way to use thier

I create small example, that demonstrates this problem:
Module with docstrings for translation:
"""testmodule docstring"""

class TestClass:
    """testmodule.TestClass docstring"""

    def testClassMethod(self):
        """testmodule.TestClass.testClassMethod docstring"""
        print _("Call TestClass.testClassMethod()")

Script for testing translation:
import os, gettext

localedir = os.path.join( os.path.dirname(__file__), "locale/" )

t = gettext.translation( 'testmodule', localedir=localedir,
languages=['ru'], codeset="cp1251" )

import testmodule

help( testmodule )

It successfully translates _("Call TestClass.testClassMethod()") but
all docstrings stay untranslated.
Full example exists here:
So, question is: How to translate docstrings in my example?