[Idle-dev] How can I see Cyrillic comment's line from my *.py by IDLE 0.6?

Neil Hodgson neilh@scintilla.org
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 11:22:21 +1000

> But new advanced version (0.6) of IDLE have unicode support (It is
> great!) and have loss old useful feature, or haven't?
> I can't find anything in doc's about supporting other fonts, i.e.
> Cyrillic (Windows-1251).
> Can anyone to help me solve this problem?

   Doesn't look like its a font problem.

   IDLE 0.6 is quite happy to display Cyrillic characters encoded in UTF-8.
You should be able to copy from PythonWin and see the characters. There is a
problem with entering Cyrillic characters as the key strokes are interpreted
using a European code page. Typing the "q" (\161) character on a US keyboard
into IDLE in Russian mode inserts "é" (\351) whereas its "й" (\320\271), in
PythonWin.

> PS If I use PythonWin, then this font's ambiguity doesn't take place.
> :-)

   I'm afraid PythonWin's support for various character sets has its own set
of confusions.

   Neil