[Idle-dev] Making Python Speech-Friendly Under IDLE

JP S-C jp_sc@yahoo.com
Tue, 05 Dec 2000 22:24:15 -0800

> How would this be done?  I don't know anything about the conventions used
> for such things.

There aren't really any, that's part of the problem :-)

> if x<>y:
>         if x<3:
>                 x = x + 1
>         x = x + y
>
> Saying each tab character where it appears gives:
>
> "if x not equal y colon; tab if x less than 3 colon; tab tab x equals x plus
> 1; tab x equals x plus y"

That's what I was envisioning as easiest and perhaps best solution.

> How about using pitch?  My background in music theory is limited to having
> played the piano when I was six, but something like:
>
> (C3)"if x not equal y colon"
> (E3)"if x less than 3 colon"
> (G3)"x equals x plus 1"
> (E3)"x equals x plus y"

What a cool idea.  I'd never thought of that.  How well would it work
for the non-musical or those who have never played an instrument?

> Any other ideas?  I don't think I will have time to work on this, but I can
> kibitz ;)

Kibitz away! :-]

--JP