[Idle-dev] Making Python Speech-Friendly Under IDLE

JP S-C jpsc@users.sourceforge.net
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 13:06:25 -0800 (PST)

> So it's a tough problem, and block structure seems
> the least of it.

True.

> Suggest
>
>   if x not equal y open-block
>   if x less than 3 open-block
>   x equals x plus 1 close-block  # how to know "one"
>     # wasn't intended?
>   x equals x plus y close-block  # how to know "why"
>     # wasn't intended?
>
> The phrases "open-block" and "close-block" are not
> confusable via acoustics (they're better this way
> than, say, "indent" and "dedent"), and could
> be treated like keystroke macros (open-block ->
> colon then newline (IDLE will indent by itself given

> those keys); close-block -> newline then backspace,
> although IDLE will invent the backspace by itself
> sometimes (e.g., after a "return" stmt),

I think this would work really well for input. I am
debating over what would be better for output:
modulating pitch according to indents or dedents or
using a similar macro to turn tabs back into
"open-block" and "close-block" and speak them.

> It's important to remember that people are very good

> at mining info out of *any* system of clues, no
> matter how odd they may seem at first, provided
> they're consistent.

True.

> I've heard that some people can even make sense out
> of Perl code <wink>.

:-) Ha, Let's not go there.

Best Regards,

--JP