[Idle-dev] IDLE and Jython

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph@twistedmatrix.com
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 13:32:49 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Mats Wichmann wrote:

>  >You could try to use the Java bindings to Tk that are floating around on
>  >the JPython website.  There isn't terribly much abstract, toolkit
>  >independant code packaged with IDLE, so if you're going to do it with
>  >another toolkit it's probably going to be a different "product".
>
> Hmmm, I'd missed that.  If I can manage any time at all I'll at
> least take a look.  My frustration at beginning to play with
> Jython as a way to inspect/test Java classes and /not/ having
> IDLE available was what led to the question.  If there are any
> other answers to that problem I'd be happy to take a look
> (I don't speak Emacs, unfortunately, in case that's one).

You should learn to speak both Emacs and VI -- they are, respectively,
answers to many problems :). (Emacs does not, however, have a python
instance inspector.)

>  >PS: by the way -- the Tk code will have to be replaced with *AWT* or
>  >*Swing*, not "Java"... (the confusion between Java's language (which is
>  >passable) and Java's standard libarary (which is an unusable piece of
>  >trash) is one of those sun-reinforced myths that life hard for developers
>  >trying to advocate high-level languages)
>

> Yes, I know.  My apologies for being imprecise... I suspect folks
> got the gist of it, though.

The reason I mentioned it is because I was wondering what you're planning
to use to do your GUI -- since there is a free AWT, but no free Swing.
(yet?)

                     @ t w i s t e d m a t r i x  . c o m
                     http://www.twistedmatrix.com/~glyph/