[Idle-dev] IDLE and Jython

Mats Wichmann mats@laplaza.org
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:01:15 -0700

 > > So -- in a feeble stab at remaining on-topic -- I think that Jython
 > > support for IDLE would be a good idea.  Unfortunately, there is currently
 > > no reliable or well-performing editing component for Java.  If we are to
 > > move in a direction on some common toolkit, my order of preference is to:
 > >
 > > * use WxWindows, swigging it for JNI and making the interface match
 > >   wxPython
 > > * remain with Tkinter, try to improve Tkinter support on Java
 >
 >  I'd be happy to see either of these happen, but am way too tied up
 >to play with GUI stuff at this point.

Hmmm.  Looks like Finn Bock was the driver behind jTkinter,
and is also very involved in Jython.  Maybe he at least has
a good picture of the current state of play.  I've sent him
an email to ask.  The project looks like it's been mostly
inactive for a year, except for questions just like mine ;-}

The need doesn't appear to be exactly _burning_ at this point...
one question every six months or so.

Mats

P.S. Finn left this note in the SourceForge discussion list:

"A 100% java/python version of Tkinter would IMHO be an very valuable
addtion to JPython. I hope someone will eventually release such a
module. My JNI version have some benefits, but I believe a 100% java
version would have other useful benefits."