[Idle-dev] Console version of IDLE possible?

Peter Funk pf@artcom-gmbh.de
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 14:23:24 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

Guillaume Gautier schrieb:
> I love IDLE, and would like to have this environnement on a laptop running
> linux
> but not X (not enough space on HD).
> Looking at the source as a novice programmer, i can't see if the
> fonctionnal code is very
> dependant of the Tk stuff.
> Should it be difficult to make a ncurses or whatever console-gui version of
> IDLE ?
> As anybody as tried something in this direction?

Not AFAIK.  That would be a rather challenging task, since the editor
heavily depends on the Tk-Textwidget.

Are you really sure, that you can't use X11 on your Linux Laptop?
There are so many useful X11-apps out there, that it would be a pitty.

I myself have a rather cheap 1998 Pentium-Notebook with a small (2
GB) HD.  I ran SuSE Linux all the time on it.  Works like a charme.
A basic X11 setup with a simple window manager should not eat up too
much space.

Regards, Peter
--
Peter Funk, Oldenburger Str.86, D-27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Fax:+49 4222950260
office: +49 421 20419-0 (ArtCom GmbH, Grazer Str.8, D-28359 Bremen)