[Idle-dev] IDLE interpreter window

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 02:26:42 -0500

[Albert Brandl, misses shell history features in IDLE, likes them in
 PythonWin]

[it's pointed out that IDLE has them too]

[Mark Hammond, PythonWin's dad]
> hehe - Id love to take the credit, but I stole them from IDLE - isnt it
> Alt-N and Alt-P or something?

[Albert Brandl
> Thanks for the advice. But the presence of a work-around for accessing
> the history does not hide the fact that the *Python Shell* looks like
> a shell but does not behave like one.  IMHO it should try to resemble
> the usual shell behaviour as closely as possible

What is "usual shell behaviour"?  There are dozens of shells out there.
You're putting way too much weight on the word "shell", methinks:  the
Python Shell is really an editor window, that happens to have the added
feature of being able to execute Python in interactive mode.  Do Help->Help
to read about the features "the shell" window has that IDLE's other editing
Windows don't have; it also has all the features of an IDLE editing window.

> (Gerrit's idea of introducing "modes" points to this direction). I think
> that everyone who uses shells expects a certain behaviour when using
> the *Python Shell*.  And I _don't_ think many people expect the cursor
> to go up one line when pressing the Up-Arrow ;-)

If they think of it as an editor window instead (which it is, by design and
by implementation), that behavior for Up-Arrow is certainly expected.

> Another example: It's possible to remove the ">>>" by using the backspace
> key. Ever done that at a bash / csh / tcsh prompt? ;-)

No, and that's one reason the IDLE "shell" is much better.  Not kidding!  I
use it heavily, and the ability to edit the shell window in arbitrary ways
is *great* for saving the important parts of an interactive session.

> I think the semantics of the arrow keys and backspace are essential if
> the *Python Shell* window is to be widely accepted.

Too late:  it's already widely accepted <0.5 wink>.

if-you-want-an-os-shell-use-an-os-shell-or-rebind-all-your-idle-
    keys-to-pretend-it's-something-it's-not-ly y'rs  - tim