[Idle-dev] Re: Re: config files

Randall Hopper aa8vb@yahoo.com
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 09:26:54 -0500

Guido van Rossum:
 |The real reason for going with our own config file syntax and location
 |is that we want to migrate to a system where the user can change the
 |configuration through a Preferences dialog.

Sounds good.  That would be more convenient.

 |> Alternatively, Tkinter supports reading startup "profile" code (written in
 |> Python) for Tkinter apps.  The file loaded is based on the appname and
 |> classname passed to Tk() -- see Tkinter.py::readprofile() for details.
 |
 |We considered this too -- and decided that the Python syntax gives too
 |much freedom for mistakes, and besides that we won't need it once we
 |have our preferences dialog.

Good point.  As long as the config file remains editable even after the
Preferences editor is in place, I like the idea.

Mark Hammond:
 |Fear not - you are agreeing with us <wink> - you quoted out of context
 |(probably because the context was lost in the article you replied to) but
 |the question was specifically addressing only Windows - it was already
 |agreed Unix would follow local conventions (if only people could decide what
 |they were :-)

Sorry about that.  I'm glad to hear it was just my misunderstanding.
Jeremy's UNIX scheme was included the text Tim replied to, and I
misinferred that both platforms were being discussed.

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@yahoo.com