[Idle-dev] Idle startup & Config

Gary Strangman strang@NMR.MGH.Harvard.EDU
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 15:09:05 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I'm a long-time user of python, but just fired up IDLE for the first time.
Quite nice, I must say.  I have a couple questions, however, if anyone has
a moment to help.  (BTW, this is all on a WinNT4 (SP3) machine, using
the 1.5.2(final) installer, and saying Yes to Tcl/Tk installation).

1)  My first attempts resulted in the following crash ...

d:\Program Files\Python\Tools\idle> python PyShell.py
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "PyShell.py", line 633, in ?
    main()
  File "PyShell.py", line 612, in main
    fixwordbreaks(root)
  File "D:\PROGRA~1\Python\Tools\idle\EditorWindow.py", line 606, in fixwordbreaks
    tk.call('tcl_wordBreakAfter', 'a b', 0) # make sure word.tcl is loaded
TclError: invalid command name "tcl_wordBreakAfter"
d:\Program Files\Python\Tools\idle>

It was a reliable crash, despite the fact that (a) I know my Tk/Tcl and
Tkinter work, (b) the relevant word.tcl file is indeed in the proper tcl
subdirectory (default location except on drive D, not C) and (c) the same
thing occurred when I did a complete uninstall and reinstall of python
1.5.2(final). When I edited PyShell.py to comment out the two
fixwordbreaks() lines, IDLE seemed to work fine (thereby establishing
(a)).

2)  The next/previous history icommands (Alt-n/Alt-p, respectively)
produce a beep each time the key-combo is pressed.  I quickly perused the
source for the cause of this (I found the noise tiresome), but was unable
to find one. I'd really like to remove the beep.  Anyone have a hint?

Thanks ...

Gary

Gary Strangman, PhD        |  Neural Systems Group
Office: 617-724-0662       |  Massachusetts General Hospital
Home:   xxx-xxx-xxxx       |  13th Street, Bldg 149, Room 9103
strang@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu |  Charlestown, MA  02129