[Idle-dev] Idle config file preference inquiry

Jake Baker jbaker@ummelec.com
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 14:58:20 -0500

Hi all!

 I'm working on a GUI dialog box for editing the parameters in IDLEs =
config files. My question is: where and how should I save this information?=
 One of my desires is to have the config.txt file still be editable in a =
text file, so I need to leave those alone in some fashion.

 My current solution is this:

 Changes to config made through the editor are saved to a config.inf file =
in the idle directory. This file is placed last in the load list for =
IdleConfig so that it's params override those set in the manual config =
files.

 This method leaves a lot to be desired, but I can't think of anything =
better. [Note: I was going to rewrite the changes to config.txt (leaving =
comments and whitespace alone) but there's two problems with that: which =
config file *where* (idle/config or ~/config) and *which* config file =
('cause idle uses 3 - config.txt, config-xxx.txt and something else.)

 Your ideas are appreciated,
 - Jake