[Idle-dev] current working directory

Guido van Rossum guido@zope.com
Sat, 04 Aug 2001 13:41:56 -0400

> A thought, taking the lazy way out and bouncing it
> off the list instead of thinking in detail...
>
> Would it make sense to add a menu option to change
> the current working directory of the shell, and
> perhaps have the IDLE shell display the CWD in the
> title bar?
>
> I've found my tudents sometimes lose track of where
> they are.  Yes you can do it pythonically, and
> of course they should learn to do that pretty
> early, but at least in a classroom context there's
> a lot to juggle in a short amount of time, and a
> little reminder wouldn't seem to hurt.

Yes, a notion of "current directory" would make sense.  It also makes
sense to have a current (or "default") directory per file window --
there's some notion of this, but it's not always used (I would like
the "new window" command to inherit the default directory from the
window that received the event).