[Idle-dev] Whose fault? IDLE, PyGame, or TKinter?

Stephen M. Gava elguavas@users.sourceforge.net
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:02:45 +1100

Since my test worked, lets try this again. I sent this followup message soon
after my original post on this topic, but it hasn't appeared on idle-dev yet
so I'm trying again.

Stephen M. Gava wrote:
> attempt to execute processes in a separate thread, however there are

Actually I said 'execute processes in a separate thread' twice in my original
reply when I meant to say 'execute code in a separate process', still the
upshot is the same for the problems you are encountering I think (when
executing from idle), which is that in regular python idle 'run' (or
executed) code is executed in the same process as the IDE itself (which
embodies idle's tkinter event loop), so you can get all sorts of problems
along the lines you've mentionned when attempting to execute code that
implements other graphical interface event loops in particular.  This is the
problem that the 'separate process execution' code in idlefork is attempting
to address.

Stephen.
--
Stephen M. Gava  <elguavas@users.sourceforge.net>