[Idle-dev] rightclick

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien@orbtech.com
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 09:27:35 -0500

I think this is why Python no longer installs in Program Files - too many
little gotchas with long names and spaces in names.

---
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech
"I am, therefore I think."

-----Original Message-----
From: idle-dev-admin@python.org [mailto:idle-dev-admin@python.org]On Behalf
Of Peter Bengtsson
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 7:34 AM
To: pobrien@orbtech.com; IDLE Developers List
Subject: Re: [Idle-dev] rightclick

I tried that, but since I have mine in a folder called "Program file" I put
quotation marks around the paths.

"C:\program files\python\pythonw.exe" "C:\program
files\python\tools\idle\idle.pyw" -s -e %1
When I right click C:\program files\python\apa.py and choose Edit in IDLE,
IDLE tries to open two files. One called "C:\\Program" and one called
"C:\\Program Files\\Python\\Files\\Python\\apa.py" according to the two
failure dialog messages "Opening non-existent file..."

This works as expected though on the command line:
"C:\program files\python\pythonw.exe" "C:\program
files\python\tools\idle\idle.pyw" -s -e "C:\program files\python\apa.py"

Any hints? ...except renaming my "Program files" folder to "Programfiles"

Can not somebody with more brains that me use this
http://www.toolwood.dk/freeware/PythonLauncher/
to make the idle.pyw an exe and hence it will work better with windows?

Cheers, Peter

> In Windows Explorer, Tools | Folder Options | File Types scroll down the
> list and select Python File. Hit the Edit button. In the Edit File Type
> dialog hit the New button. In the Action field type in "Edit in IDLE" and
in
> the Application used to perform action field type in
> "C:\Python21\pythonw.exe C:\PYTHON21\Tools\idle\idle.pyw -s -e". The -s
> switch is optional and will load your PYTHONSTARTUP script. The -e says to
> edit the file. The location of pythonw.exe and idle.pyw depends on your
> installation.
>
> Having done this, you can now right click on a .py file and you will have
an
> option to "Edit in IDLE". The only drawback to this technique is that if
> IDLE is already running, a second shell window will open as well as the
file
> you want to edit.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> ---