[Idle-dev] CVS: idle BrowserControl.py,1.1.3.1,1.2

Mats Wichmann mats@laplaza.org
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 17:34:55 -0600

At 01:01 PM 7/13/2001 -0400, Fred L. Drake wrote:
 >kbk@shore.net (Kurt B. Kaiser) wrote:
 > > Why not have it installed in Linux by default, also, so
 > > that Python comes with
 > > the GUI IDE people seem to expect these days?
 >
 >  Do Linux users really expect a GUI IDE other than
 >Emacs/XEmacs?  They shouldn't!  ;-)

We do :-) (some of us, anyway). I'll start another religious
war if I give my opinion on Emacs, so let's leave it there.

 >  Seriously, I think it should be installed.  I'm not sure
 >exactly where all the IDLE modules should go (/usr/lib/idle/
 >?), but it would be nice.  If it could include a .desktop
 >file for Gnome/KDE, that would be nice as well.

I have no problems with my current setup, which is idle installed
under site-packages, and one little dummy script in /usr/local/bin
which invokes idle correctly when you type "idle" on the command
line.  So it can go pretty much anywhere. Incidentally, I do the
same thing on Solaris and IRIX so this isn't "just a Linux" thing...

Mats