[Idle-dev] Py-CVS Release 2.1 Merge

David Scherer dscherer@vysics.com
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 16:51:28 -0400

There should be two separate ways (e.g. two separate start menu icons on
Windows) to start the editor and the shell.  I believe there is already
a way to start in shell mode using different command line arguments.

The VPython idle starts in editor mode by default because the shell mode
does not provide remote execution (which is essential for us) and
because Bruce and Ruth were not interested in the shell as a pedagogical
tool*.

Dave

* Because of the irreversibility of actions: unlike in an editor, "undo"
doesn't, and correcting a mistake can sometimes be impossible.  The
"responsiveness" of a shell, on the other hand, is very nice for
learning, so we tried to get as much of that as possible into the
editing environment (e.g. with single-key run).  The preferred use of
the editor is then to re-run the program after every few lines of code!