[Visualpython-devel] Re: [Idle-dev] Py-CVS Release 2.1 Merge

StephenM.Gava StephenM.Gava
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 14:01:44 +1000

David Scherer wrote:
[...]
> Using the editor for this type of tutorial would be just as awkward.
> For example, you would have to write "print" everywhere to get any
> output, and the output wouldn't be usefully lined up with the program.
>
> The bottom line (in my mind) is that there is, in fact, a place for both
> the editor and the shell - but not necessarily in the same curriculum.
> I can imagine an uber-debugger that might be a true superset of both
> editor and shell, but I don't have time to write it ;)

This is really what I was trying to say in my previous post (idlefork -
horses for courses). Both environments are very useful. But I would also add
that neither environment is, or needs to be, transcendent, that they should
be available to all to use in combination.

I can see where the focus is on learning python as a graphic scripting
environment starting in the editor is very wise, but idle is meant for more
than only this purpose. For teaching programming itself from scratch, using
python as a general purpose programming language, the shell is a fantastic
tool.

In either case I think both must still have their place in a varying mix and
with varying use over time, some of those graphic scripting physics students
might want to do some advance string manipulation for instance at some stage,
a subject that can be really beneficially explored in the shell, but if they
had been turned off its use because it was not centrally useful in their
original use for python, then they might lose out on its benefits.

Really I think thie issue can be addressed in IDLE by just an easily
configurable and saveable startup state, according to preference or need.
This is exactly (one of ) the kind(s) of configurability I intend to work on
as my main focus on idlefork. And the issues Kurt raises on more easily using
the shell interactively with the editor for larger coding experiments can be
addressed too.

So this definitely _shouldn't_ be any kind of shell vs editor educational
value holy war. Teachers and users should be able to configure IDLE to start
up in the state most suitable for the course they are teaching or the task
generally at hand for them, that's all.

Stephen.
--
Stephen M. Gava