[Idle-dev] editor experiments

Bruce Sherwood bas@andrew.cmu.edu
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 00:33:54 -0400

One "obvious" aspect I should have mentioned:

I too sometimes need to explore the syntax of some single piece of Python,
for which the shell seems useful. What I do is create a new editor window,
and say "print .....". And I have the ability to put something in front of
that statement, or after, for another try. As far as I can tell, these tiny
editor files are the functional equivalent of the shell, PROVIDED that the
editor is highly interactive. And rarely can I do a meaningful experiment
in a single correctly typed line....

I repeat that the shell should be available to those who find it useful.
But I also emphasize that if you have only had the shell and a clunky
batch-style environment to compare and contrast, don't underestimate the
possibilities of doing exploration in a truly interactive editor window.

Bruce Sherwood