[Idle-dev] Startup Shell Functionality

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk@shore.net
16 Jul 2001 14:47:48 -0400

Guido van Rossum <guido@digicool.com> writes:

> > > Hm, the 'idles' script references a package 'idlelib' so it can't be
> > > run from within the idle source directory.
> >
> > I can't reproduce a problem; I seem to be able to import idlelib
> > when starting idlefork from anywhere on Linux. PyIdle has the same
> > reference to idlelib, isn't this handled by the __init__.py file in
> > the directory?
>
> I've never used the setup.py script to *install* IDLE.

You should try it, it works great! Just go "python setup.py install", and it
moves everything to the standard places including the help.txt file.

> AFAIK no other idle start script references idlelib, it's only created by the
> installer.

The idle script is part of the source, loewis modified it five months ago to
"Allow installation of IDLE via distutils (patch #103138)."

The setup.py installer just copies it to /usr/local/bin .

> > Does the -e option disappear?
>
> It's redundant.

OK, TIOOWTDI, it disappears...

> I can't see a gotcha, and Bruce already said he liked this. :-)

:-)

Regards, KBK