[Edu-sig] Re: [Idle-dev] Weird error when pydoc.help is added to builtin from site.py

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:20:18 -0400

> Sorry, I should have specified the environment. I'm running the Python, IDLE
> and pydoc versions that come with the Python 2.1 for windows file from
> python.org. I'm running under a completely up-to-date Win98SE. (I know, I
> know, but please don't groan. At least I can still play games. And I do have
> a Linux partition. <wink>)

That's similar to what I have on my laptop.

> Python 2.1 (#15, Apr 16 2001, 18:25:49) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
> IDLE 0.8 -- press F1 for help
>
> I can try to track the problem further if you like, but I feel a bit out of
> my league compared to those with more Python experience than I have, which
> is close to zero (but catching on quickly, I hope.).

Well, but you have one big advantage: access to the machine!  It works
fine for me.  See if this also breaks when you do this in IDLE:

  >>> import pydoc
  >>> pydoc.help()

That eliminates the manipulation with __builtin__ as the cause of the
problem.  Then you'll have to step through the code or use pdb.pm() to
find out what was wrong...