[Idle-dev] Evaluating the two remote interpreter implementations

Stephen M. Gava elguavas@users.sourceforge.net
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:03:33 +1000

Chui Tey wrote:
> I had a look at the two implementations: one by D.Scherer and the other by
> Guido.
>
> Functionally, these two implementations are identical.
>
> The code base by Guido is about 1/3 shorter, and I personally find easier
> to grok and extend to implement a debugging instance.
> There is a small change required to make Guido's implementation work on
> Windows, namely to use AF_INET intead of AF_UNIX sockets.
> We can probably use Win32pipe too, if the user doesn't have the network
> drivers installed.
>
> We need to get a decision made on which way to go forward so that
> development can proceed. I may have some spare time to hack on this.

Hi Chui.   Well,  if you have the time and inclination to work on this then
you've already made the decision.  ;^)  I've been looking for someone who
wanted to work on the execution in a remote process stuff since we got the
ball rolling again on idlefork in July, but until now no-one has volunterred
their time, so, congratulations,  if do you want to hack on it now,  let me
know and I'll make you a developer on idlefork so you can have proper cvs
access.

Please consider coming on board for this as I don't have the extra time at
present to work on this aspect of idlefork and the new configuration
implementation at the same time, so if it ends up being down to me alone
work on the remote execution stuff won't start until after I finish the
config stuff.  As I've mentionned previously on the list these are the two
things that I want working properly (which means remote execution *with*
debugging :)  before we make the next idlefork release(s),  and I'd really
welcome your help.

If you do decide to work on this now then the fact that you find Guido's code
more concise and easier to follow for the modifications and improvements you
will need to make means that this is the code we will use, and step one for
you will be incorporating his version into idlefork.

Best wishes,
Stephen.
--
Stephen M. Gava  <elguavas@users.sourceforge.net>