[Idle-dev] RFE: option to switch output from shell window to output window

Jesse W jessw@netwood.net
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 15:08:35 -0800

Pardon me if this is already been done, but here is an RFE that I would like to
see added to IDLEfork.  I may even code it myself.

	In earlier versions of IDLE, output from programs that were run as scripts was
sent to a new window called *Output*; the results of Search in Files... is
still sent to such a window.  It would be very convientient in some
circumstances to be able to redirect standard output(and possibly standard
error) to such a window via a key or menu option.  For example, if a program
spits out a big bunch of text, it's unpleasent to splash it all over the shell
window, so it would be nice to be able to see it in it's own window. I expect
this would be pretty simple to code up; just make a toggle function to set
sys.stdout to the write method of a new "*Output*" window, or to the Shell
window, then insert the function into the menus or apply it to a keybinding. I
do not have a SourceForge account, so if someone else could make a bug report
for this, it would be appreciated.

				Thanks for all your work, 					Jesse Weinstein