[Idle-dev] Re: [Python-Help] python 2.2

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 01:49:37 -0500

[Guido]
> Um, why would you *want* IDLE to show the secondary prompt?

For me, primarily so that the code reads better:  the first line after the
initial line *appears* to be indented 4 spaces, while the next level of
indentation *appears* to be indented 8 more.  It's jarring both that the
IDLE shell uses 8-space tabs for indents (all my other Python code uses 4
spaces), and that the indention wrt the rightmost non-whitspace character
appears to vary across indentation level.

It's also a lot easier to paste an IDLE session into doctest if sys.ps2 is
"normal" <wink>.

> IMO sys.ps2 is a crutch that you don't need if you have multi-line
> command editing as IDLE has.

Which is also a good point.