[Idle-dev] Slow close?

Stephen M. Gava elguavas@users.sourceforge.net
25 Feb 2002 10:14:06 +1100

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> It's also window manager specific.  I used to use a very old window
> manager and my windows closed instantly.  Now I use some newfangled
> thing (I don't even know what it's called, comes with KDE) and I have
> this problem.  Maybe this is a clue?

Interesting. This made me vaguely recall that idle didn't used to behave
like this for me either. For about the last year I've been mainly using
Gnome with the Sawfish window manager, and as I reported previously I
get this problem with all idle versions. So, I just tried it under my
old fave WindowMaker and lo and behold, no delay at all, then I tried
under BlackBox, no delay there either, so I tried it under what is
generally considered not exactly a lightweight window manager,
Enlightenment, and there was absolutely no delay there either.

Since there is no problem under a range of light and heavy weight window
managers, but there is a problem under both KDE and Gnome it might
suggest that there is something other than the window manager itself in
these full on 'operating environments' that is causing the problem (they
are both full of object embedding frameworks, session managers, all
sorts of stuff), or something in the new 'common window manager spec.'
that both Gnome and KDE now support. One way to test this would be if
someone could try this under Sawfish _without_ Gnome (I only have the
sawfish version which integrates with gnome on my system), if it runs ok
there then it is something else in 'operating environment' causing the
problem.

Stephen.
--
Stephen M. Gava  <elguavas@users.sourceforge.net>