[Idle-dev] Running a program

Bruce Sherwood basherwo@unity.ncsu.edu
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 09:30:27 -0400

There's one other environment behavior that may need some attention and
which hasn't been mentioned explicitly. When a compile or execution error
occurs, it is important that the window containing the error message come
forward. At present it can happen that the error is not visible because its
window is occluded. I've found that exhortations to nonexpert programmers
to keep the idlefork window open in a clear part of the screen are not very
effective, so this window-forward behavior is important.

Also, on Linux I have seen the open-file dialog box come up behind other
windows, which is both confusing and inconvenient.

Bruce Sherwood