[Idle-dev] RPC Investigations

Stephen M. Gava elguavas@users.sourceforge.net
12 Jun 2002 14:54:12 +1000

Kurt B. Kaiser wrote:
> I spent some time comparing the four versions of Idle.
[...]
> The stack viewer is working now.  Next, get the remote debugger
> working.

Great work Kurt. You seem to have ended up with a result similar to a
possible 'restart' for idlefork that I discussed with Guido a few months
ago. At that time I suggested to him that if I'd taken the time to
familiarise myself enough with the codebase when first starting 'son of
idlefork', I believe I would have decided it was better to rule a line
after release 0.8.1, move it onto a branch or into the attic, and merge
the changes and bugfixes I'd made at that stage, along with a cut of the
GvR rpc stuff, into a fresh checkin of the current python idle at that
time.

Although GvR okayed going ahead with that idea, and in fact I mentioned
to Chui when he first volunteered some time for the rpc stuff that we
would likely be doing things that way, it turned out work circumstances
stole a lot of the free time I'd had available, and I decided against
making such sweeping reforms pretty much on my own when I wouldn't be
sure to have the time to follow through with repairing the inevitable
breakages etc.. So, anyway, to cut to the chase, I think some more heavy
duty refactoring along the lines you've taken is precisely the way we
should go and I'm really pleased to see it happening.

Stephen.
--
Stephen M. Gava  <elguavas@users.sourceforge.net>
IDLEfork ( http://idlefork.sourceforge.net )  " just like IDLE, only