[Idle-dev] Serious problems getting idlefork to display on multiple xservers

Michael Williams michael.williams@st-annes.oxford.ac.uk
Thu, 9 May 2002 14:59:33 +0100

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 08:59:01AM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > We need a stop gap solution for next week. idle as it stands will
> > probably do the job.
>
> The problem is indeed that all instances use the same port.  This is
> determined by the line
>
>     default_port = 0x1D1E   # "IDlE"
>
> in the file protocol.py.  If you could make this initialized from an
> environment variable, e.g.
>
>     default_port = 0x1D1E   # "IDlE"
>     p = os.environ.get("PORT")
>     if p: default_port = int(p)
>
> then you can give each student a personalized environment variable.
>
> That's the best I can think of rigt now.

A quick test suggests that works and may be just the temporary solution
we are looking for. Thanks very much! Is there a particular range we
should use for the PORT variable? Over 1024 for example?

--
Michael