[Idle-dev] DS_RPC_BRANCH

Stephen M. Gava elguavas@python.net
03 Sep 2002 09:46:51 +1000

On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 07:47, Kurt B. Kaiser wrote:
> I was unable to test the Unicode fix in the branch (though I assume it
> works); the branch is broken for me because loader.py, which is
> apparently necessary for DS_RPC to function, was removed and also
> because the merge of Autoindent.py into EditorWindow.py needs some
> work.  (AutoIndent is still a required extension in PyShell.py, but
> the module has been removed.)

Kurt,
please try this again on a clean checkout of only DS_RPC_BRANCH (cvs up
-r DS_RPC_BRANCH). I am still stuck only working on this branch and I
have no such problems here.

If there are problems, this whole situation only goes to reinforce what
I've been saying about how we need to fold the branch back into main now
and continue all development there. The fact is, if we were both working
on the same branch (or the trunk) then problems of all these kinds
wouldn't arise; any breakages would be detected in a much more timely
fashion because we'd both be working on and testing the same code, and
there would be no patches getting lost and no confusion for our users
about exactly what they should check out if they want to use cvs. These
kinds of problems were exactly why I argued against branching the
development effort (of course just tagging cvs itself causes no problem)
in the first place.

When you and Guido convinced me to have work proceed on two branches
simultaneously in the first place it was with a couple of provisos; one
was that you volunteered to make regular (weekly or fortnightly) merges
of DS_RPC_BRANCH back to main, and the other was that it would only be a
short term temporary situation and that all development would soon be
able to continue on main.

So I'll repeat my question of a couple of weeks ago again, would you be
able do a merge soon, please, so that we can get things back on track? I
realize the time you have available has all been taken up working on the
rpc stuff so you've had no time to do a merge yet, but really, I think
this is a priority.

Thanks,
Stephen.
--