[Idle-dev] idle, idlefork not running PYTHONSTARTUP

Norvell Spearman norvell@houseofspearman.org
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 17:21:21 -0600

python v2.2.2b1
idle v0.8
idlefork v0.9a1
linux kernel v2.4.18

When I run idle or idlefork with the '-s' option, it appears that my
PYTHONSTARTUP script isn't being run:  nothing I type in the Python
Shell gets appended to my .pyhistory file.  When I run python in an
xterm the history works as expected.  My .bash_profile has entries for
both PYTHONSTARTUP and IDLESTARTUP and I know these are getting
exported:

$ env | grep STARTUP
IDLESTARTUP=/home/norvell/.pystartup
PYTHONSTARTUP=/home/norvell/.pystartup

The contents of my .pystartup are copied and pasted from the Python tutorial
at:

http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/node13.html

Also, typing in the contents of .pystartup manually in the idle Python
Shell doesn't seem to work either.

Thanks much for any help with this.

--
Norvell Spearman