[Idle-dev] Andrew Cowan: IDLE bug?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 05:20:03 -0400

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:45:43 -0400
From:    Andrew Cowan <acowan@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>
To:      guido@python.org
Subject: IDLE bug?

Please forgive me if this is not the proper place to send bug reports.
There was no link clearly available on the IDLE page at python.org, and
this address is listed there.

I have a python script that, towards the beginning of the file, contains
a 245-line triple-quote string, as a template for a data file.  When I
open the script in IDLE, it stops syntax-highliting at the 116th line of
the string, and prints an error message in the IDLE shell:

===
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1300, in __call__
     return apply(self.func, args)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 436, in callit
     apply(func, args)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/idle/ColorDelegator.py", line
144, in recolorize
     self.recolorize_main()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/idle/ColorDelegator.py", line
207, in recolorize_main
     m1 = self.asprog.match(chars, b)
RuntimeError: maximum recursion limit exceeded
===

If I position the cursor at the end of the 116th line and hit enter, it
will then syntax-highlite the rest of the script, and appears to
continue without further errors.

Andy Cowan
- --
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull
his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you
understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send
signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there
is no cat."
- --Einstein

------- End of Forwarded Message