[Idle-dev] [ idlefork-Bugs-677263 ] On W32 Can't Terminate Subprocess Not Doing IO

SourceForge.net noreply@sourceforge.net
Fri, 16 May 2003 14:44:03 -0700

Bugs item #677263, was opened at 2003-01-30 04:02
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by bsherwood
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=109579&aid=677263&group_id=9579

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
With 0.9a2 it is still the case that something is very
wrong with the run environment for VPython programs,
at least on Windows. I run the simplest program

from visual import *
sphere()

Next I kill the graphics display window (by clicking in the
close box), then type in the shell "2+2". I get the
following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\idleforklib\rpc.py",
line 187, in asynccall
    self.putmessage((seq, request))
  File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\idleforklib\rpc.py",
line 289, in putmessage
    n = self.sock.send(s)
  File "<string>", line 1, in send
error: (10054, 'Connection reset by peer')

I then try to kill the shell window and get a dialog box
asking this:

"The program is still running; do you want to kill it?"

I say I want to kill it, the dialog box goes away, but
nothing happens to the shell window. The only way I can
kill Python is with the Windows task manager. Even
independent of what may be special about a VPython
program, shouldn't IDLE honor the request to kill?

I emphasize that with the original idlefork when one
killed a VPython graphics window you were in a good
state. Another possible hint at the source of the new
problem is that with the original idlefork after F5 to run I
could press F5 and the existing graphics window would
be killed and I'd get a new spawned process. Now I
seem to get two spawned processes in this situation.

http://vpython.org is a place to get the VPython stuff. I
have no idea whether the problem is in some sense with
VPython or with the new idlefork.