[Idle-dev] Feature request, evaluate an expression when stopped at a breakpoint

Al Schapira a.d.schapira at worldnet.att.net
Thu Apr 1 14:23:47 EST 2004

I've been using IDLE both for debugging my own code and for learning
about how other folks code works.  There is a feature that I'm looking
for that is so basic I believe it must be possible, but I haven't seen
it described anywhere:  the ability to enter and evaluate an expression
when stopped at a breakpoint.  The expression would be evaluated in the
context of the current breakpoint.

Building on this would be the *automatic* evaluation of one or more
previously entered expressions every time a breakpoint was hit.

I envision an additional subwindow of the idle window in which each
user's expression and its value would be automatically displayed when
stopped at a breakpoint. The expressions to be evaluated could be
entered or changed whenever idle is stopped at any breakpoint.

Other debuggers I used (for C debugging) have a similar capability.

Thanks.